Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Reusable Sandwich and Snack Bags

A while ago, I bought some reusable sandwich and snack bags on Etsy (Sandwich Bags) because since Elizabeth takes her lunch to school, and we have to provide daily snacks and stuff….we used to go through a frightening amount of plastic sandwich bags. My thought was that I could use these in her cute BPA free lunch bag every day rather than the plastic kind. I did clear it with Elizabeth first because I didn’t want to be “that mom”…..the one who makes her kid use crazy looking contraptions, just because they’re good for the environment. You know – a hippie mom! My apologies to any hippie mom out there reading this. No offense intended, since I guess I am more of a hippie mom than not. But I digress. After they arrived, she said she thought they were cute and she would not mind using them in her lunch every day. What a kid!

Anyway. The bags are a bit bigger than sandwich size, they’re made out of cute fabric, have a safe nylon type fabric lining the inside, and have a strip of Velcro across the top to keep them closed.

After I bought them, I thought I would test one out in my own lunch. So…I made my *natural peanut butter sandwich, packed it in my cute new sandwich bag and went to work. 5 hours later, when it was time to eat, I pulled out the sandwich bag, opened it up, and found……..the stalest sandwich I have ever tasted. How in the world did my sandwich get SO dried out?

I figured that my sandwich needed to be protected from the air (Wait! I need a plastic sandwich bag! OK. Just kidding), so the next day, I wrapped my sandwich in a paper towel before putting it into my sandwich bag with the thought that the towel would provide more protection from the air. Although not that ecco friendly (dirty paper towel = more useless waste), I thought I would try it to see what happened. And what happened was this: my sandwich was still crusty and dried out when I went to eat it.

What the heck? Any thoughts?

*Speaking of Natural Peanut Butter. I have figured out why it is so much better for you than the sugar-laden Peter Pan or Jiff: it’s because you burn every calorie you take in when eating it by having to mix the oil and smashed peanuts together every single time you open the jar. And, any left over calories that you didn’t burn while mixing will get burned during the clean up of the huge mess you made while mixing. So, natural peanut butter is better for you because you actually LOSE calories by eating it.

That’s what I like to think anyway.

No comments: