Monday, March 8, 2010

Everything But the Kitchen Sink.......**Updated!**

**Updated with pictures below!**

.........Also known as:

Everything in the kitchen worked - everything but the kitchen sink.

What you are about to read is the very true, and somewhat frightening story of how we replaced our kitchen sink.

Before getting to the story though, I must preface it by telling you:  EVERY SINGLE HOME IMPROVEMENT PROJECT WE ATTEMPT AT OUR HOUSE TAKES A REALLY LONG TIME AND ENDS UP COSTING ABOUT TWICE AS MUCH AS PLANNED.

All caps.  Can you tell I'm bitter?

The faucet on our sink came with our house.  It was very gold, very shiny, and had become very leaky recently.  Which drove me BONKERS.  I swear, I could hear that drip all the way up in my bedroom. 

Besides the faucet, we didn't have any other gold stuff in our kitchen - we had replaced the drawer and cabinet knobs, the refrigerator is stainless, and the ceiling fan had silver on it too.  So when the faucet started dripping, rather then fix it, we figured we would just get a new silver one to match everything else.

So last Sunday, it was off to Lowes.  The girls ran amok (Elizabeth had brought her camera and took pictures of Alexandra RUNNING up and down the aisle) while we tried to pick out something that we both liked.  After we (finally) accomplished that, Greg said "What do you think about replacing the sink, while we're at it?"  I said, "Well, OK!".

Our sink was an ivory colored porcelain that had some chips and stains on it, so getting a new sink sounded like a good idea to me!  That should have been my first clue.

So, after what seemed like forever, we finally left the store with a sink and a faucet.  Hooray!

Greg decided to take Thursday off to install everything.  Hmmmmm.....a Thursday?  That seemed like a strange, middle of the week, day to take off to try and replace a kitchen sink to me, but whatever.  (That should have been my second clue).

Thursday rolled around and the girls and I went off to school/work/babysitter's and Greg got to work. 

At 10:15, I got a text message from him with a picture of the counter with a gaping hole in it where the sink used to be.  Not a big deal - it was only 10:15.  There was plenty of time for him to finish.  Right?

I didn't hear back from him, so about 4:00, I stepped out of a meeting I was in to call him.  I will spare you all the gory details, but I will say:  he told me the sink was in, but there was no plumbing under it and no faucet on top of it.  Rather than being upset though, because I could tell he was REALLY mad, I just kept my mouth shut and told him I'd be home shortly.

Well, I came home to WWIII - in my kitchen.  Apparently, there was counter cutting involved in the day's activities, and my ENTIRE kitchen, along with EVERYTHING in it, was covered in dust.  And there was a faint smell of burning wood.

Oh.  My.  God.

***Deep Breath***

Again, I kept my mouth shut.  Because I didn't really want to get a divorce over the kitchen sink.  But dang it, I was thinking really annoyed thoughts.  I mean,  come on!  It's been almost 12 hours since the sink fiasco started, there are dirty dishes on the dusty counter, dust all over everything, no faucet on the top of the sink and no plumbing under the sink.

I will put you out of your misery right now and skip to the end:  the sink was finished and the kitchen cleaned by 3pm on Saturday.  Yes - 55 hours after it was started.

I will post some pictures of the silver beauty later.....right now it's got a bunch of dishes sitting in it, waiting to be washed.  You know - doing what it's supposed to be doing!


Isn't it pretty?  Water spots that need to be wiped away and all!





Check it!  It's got one of those cool pull out sprayers!

2 comments:

Michelle Pixie said...

Oh nothing frustrates me more than when plans don't go exactly the way they are supposed to! {My control issues rearing its ugly head?!} I am glad everything is fixed and in working order again, just sorry it took so long. :D

Michelle Pixie said...

Oooooo It Is Purty!!