Thursday, May 14, 2009

Dishwashing gone bad......


Do you know what happens when you put dishes with regular dishsoap on them into the dishwasher and then turn it on?

a) Nothing special - the dishes are clean when you're done
b) Your dishwasher stops working
c) You end up with mounds of soapy bubbles filling your dishwasher that WILL NOT go away, no matter how many times you run the rinse cycle

If you picked "c", you would be correct!

A few nights ago Greg was going to do the dishes in the sink, and I said, "Just toss them in the dishwasher, I want to run it tomorrow". So he did, but didn't rinse off all of the soap he'd already squirted all over the dishes. Last night, I ran the dishwasher and then a miracle happened - I went to empty it right after it was done (the dishes usually sit in there for a least 24 hours....maybe more depending on how industrious I feel). When I opened the door, I saw that the washer was filled with soap bubbles.

Of course, me being me, I freaked out and figured that the dishwasher was broken and we'd have to buy a new one. I called Greg over and showed him.....and after looking at it for a minute, he said "Ohhhhhhhh.......I wonder if it's from all the dish soap I poured all over the dishes I put in there the other day."

If this ever happens to you, please be aware that running the rinse cycle does not help, and the bubbles will only multiply.

If this ever happens to you, you can either pour a cup of vinegar and a handful of salt in the bottom of the washer and run the rinse cycle. Or, I guess a 1/2 cup of olive oil works too (instead of the vinegar and salt), but I was too scared to try that one. So I went with the vinegar and salt and it seemed to work. Now, my kitchen smells really vinegar-y, but the bubbles are all gone!

No comments: