Tuesday, April 13, 2010

A Day in My Life

I was going through my blog dashboard and cleaning out all the posts that I never got around to finishing or publishing tonight and came across this one - a day in my life. It's from a couple of months ago, but I gotta say, things are still pretty much the same today. Except now there's a big black jumpy dog in the mix!



January 19, 2010 - January 20, 2010

10pm: I decide I'm going to bed early.

2am: Wake up. Not sure why.....no one is crying. Was Greg snoring? Hmmm. Not sure. Decide to go to the bathroom.

5am: Wake up again. Not surprised this time - for some reason I seem to wake up pretty much every morning at this time. Lucky for me (har har), this is only 30 minutes before my alarm is supposed to go off.
Yay! Now I only have 30 minutes to fall back asleep before I am woken up again.

5:30 am: Alarm. Hit the snooze button.
5:39 am: Alarm. Hit the snooze button.
5:48 am: Alarm. Hit the snooze button. Have a crazy dream about going to the mall and seeing a girl I went to high school with, but haven't seen since she moved away in the 10th grade.
5:57 am: Alarm. Hit the snooze button. Continue weird mall dream.
6:06 am: Alarm. Hit the snooze button.
6:15 am: Alarm. Hit the snooze button.
6:24 am: Alarm. Hit the snooze button.
6:33 am: Alarm. Hit the snooze button. Groggily think to myself: I should stop hitting the snooze button pretty soon and just get up.
6:42 am: Alarm. Hit the snooze button. Suddenly realize I MUST get up now or we'll all be running late. Get up.

**This is where I have to "readjust" time. Because I hit the snooze button for so long, I have set my clock ahead by many, many minutes. So, rather then it actually being 6:42, it is in fact, only 5:56.**

5:56 am: Shower, brush teeth

6:20 am: Go downstairs, ask the girls (who Greg has brought downstairs a couple of minutes ago) what they want for breakfast. When they both ignore me, I say loudly: "I am making cereal for you Elizabeth and oatmeal for you Alexandra". This forces them to tell me what they really want.

6:27 am: Serve breakfast to the girls.

6:28 am: Go through emails on my phone real quick. Yay! The stuff we ordered from Barnes and Noble on Sunday has finally shipped! Boo! An email reminder that tomorrow is Chuck.E.Cheese night for Elizabeth's school. I hate that place.

6:30 am: Dry my hair.

6:39 am: Tell the girls to hurry up! and finish their breakfasts.

6:40 am: Fix lunch for Elizabeth, fix lunch for me. Pack Elizabeth's backpack: shoes, lunch, snacks, snow pants, mittens, hat, homework folder, water bottle. Backpack won't shut.

6:49 am: Tell the girls again to hurry up! and start getting dressed.

6:50 am: Make my breakfast, hurry to eat it before the milk makes my cereal soggy. Get stopped to help Alexandra get her tights on and her dress on the right way. Then I have to help comb hair.

6:56 am: Eat soggy cereal.

7:00 am: Greg and Elizabeth leave.

7:01 am: Go downstairs and get on the computer to buy "Party in the U.S.A" by Miley Cyrus for my iPod for the girls to listen to.

7:03 am: Let Alexandra listen to "Party in the U.S.A.", and watch her dance. She looks pretty cute, so I let her do it again.

7:10 am: Head back upstairs to get dressed. Get dressed, put some makeup on, put work (good) shoes in bag, make sure Alexandra's backpack has her white thing in it for white day at school.

7:25 am: Realize it's already 7:25. Rush to get all our stuff in the car, get Alexandra in her coat and into her car seat.

7:29 am: Drive to the babysitter's house. Listen to "Party in the U.S.A" again.

7:35 am: Leave the babysitter's house. Drive to work.

7:50 am - 4:30 pm: Have a quiet, peaceful day at work.

4:30 pm: Leave work.

4:45 pm: Get to Elizabeth's school to pick her up. Decide to go through the lost and found to see if I can find the glove Elizabeth lost the first time she wore it to school. Greg looked for it the week she lost it, but didn't find it. Dig into the lost and found, wonder "how in the heck do kids leave their pants at school?” Find the glove. Yay! Wonder: “How did Greg miss it? It's the only hot pink glove in the lost and found!”

4:50 pm: Get Elizabeth into the car and drive home.

5:00 pm: Arrive at home, haul all our stuff into the house and dump it on the floor in the back hall. Am immediately bombarded with "Mommys!" from the other end of the house. Yell at the kids to stop yelling!

5:10 pm: Stare blankly into the pantry, trying to decide what to make for dinner. There doesn't seem to be anything easy and quick. Decide to order pizza.

6:00: Eat pizza.

6:10: Help Elizabeth with her homework. Wonder if I did crazy fraction story problems like this when I was in 2nd grade? Figure probably not.

6:30: Let kids lay on the couch and watch TV. Get on the computer to do pictures, internet.

7:00: Wander upstairs to see what's happening. Nothing. Go back downstairs.

7:30: Get snack for kids. Watch some TV with them.

8:00: Get kids ready for bed. Argue with kids about who puts who to bed. Decide that it's my turn to put Alexandra down, and Dad does Elizabeth.

8:15: Fall asleep in rocking chair after singing to Alexandra. Wake up when Quinn jumps on my lap.

8:30: Rush downstairs to fold clothes, start a new load of laundry, pick out clothes for me and the girls to wear tomorrow and then go find something bad and completely devoid of any nutritional value to eat.

8:30: Channel surf and eat.

8:45: Hate self after eating above food.

9:10: Fall asleep on the couch while watching TV.

9:30: Wake up when a loud commercial comes on. Decide if I'm that tired, I should go to bed. 1/2 way up the stairs, realize that I didn't put the wash into the dryer. Turn around and head to basement to do that. Make it back upstairs, floss and brush teeth, take out contacts.

9:45: Get in bed. Feel wide awake.

9:47: Toss and turn in bed. Feel annoyed that I feel wide awake.

12:47: Wake up. Alexandra is crying.........


Foursons said...

Hahaha- this reads very much like my life. Except my son is not doing fractions in the 2nd grade. Thank goodness! Oh and replace the girls with boys.

Michelle Pixie said...

A momma's work is never done! My hubby would have totally looked for a glove the exact way yours did...*sigh* I guess it's true what they say if you want it done right do it yourself. ;-)